Mastering Health Insurance
This dramatic new series documents peopleâs real life-altering experiences with health insurance.
- People are overwhelmed when buying health insurance
- They donât know how to use it or why it costs so much
- And when disaster strikes, people can be devastated if their health insurance fails them
Each episode features a real person like Beth who desperately needs help to buy it.
- Starting her own business and losing the security of employer-sponsored coverage
- Worrying about the financial risk of unexpected medical bills and monthly insurance premiums
- Finding it âdauntingâ to sort through options and make an informed decision
A licensed insurance broker like Sandra, who has local knowledge and industry expertise, guides the process.
- Understanding medical issues, financial concerns, doctor relationships, and bad experiences
- Exploring three health plans and their key features, monthly premiums, and out-of-pocket costs
- Evaluating each option (and the realities of going without) and helping make the best possible choice
Mastering Health Insurance looks to real places across the country to find people and their stories.
- Bilingual parents of a sick child in Plainview, Texas fight to get their health plan to authorize treatment
- Baby boomers in Brookline, Massachusetts enroll in Medicare for the first time, but need coverage for Florida winters
- Small business owners in Eugene, Oregon hire their first employee, who wants health insurance
And ClareFolioâs team of experts is ready to hit the road to film them.
- Experienced crew with a positive history of working together
- Talented group of camera operators, video editors, and graphic designers
- Seasoned professionals with industry relationships and management experience
The show draws viewers into an intimate conversation, which favors 26 to 48 year-old college educated women who make most health insurance decisions in the U.S.
- Women make approximately 80 percent of health care decisions for their families (US DOL 12/13)
- Women both use more and spend more on health care than men (KFF 2/13)
- More than two million viewers watch similar reality programming on any given night (TV by the Numbers 6/15)
Health insurance is one of the most importantâand expensiveâpurchases that people make every year.
- Financial ruin because of a physical or mental health issue
- Heartbreaking experience with health insurance
- On-going struggles with a health insurance carrier
By also addressing insurance literacy, the show helps people learn how to use it.
- Financial issues such as deductible and out-of-pocket limit
- Administrative issues such as insurance cards and claims processing
- Provider network issues such as in-network versus out-of-network coverage
Mastering Health Insuranceâs 18-minute pilot episode with Beth and Sandra in Cleveland, Ohio is available upon request; several 3-minute segments are available below for your consideration.
ClareFolio & Co. produces and distributes Mastering Health Insurance in accordance with applicable health insurance laws.
- If you’re a consumer (individual, family, business owner, etc.) who needs help
- If you’re a licensed health insurance broker who wants to help a consumer
- If you’re a viewer who has feedback for us